Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trilevel Brownies #45

Trilevel Brownies #45 from the Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies Periodical Decemberr 2010

THESE ARE GREAT!!!  I have eaten three of these since they came out of the oven.  They taste as if I ordered them from a wonderful restaurant--so rich and yummy!!  Need to give them to the neighbors before I eat them all!!!

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (I used old fashioned because I like the texture of those better)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown suga
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
----------------------
1 egg slightly beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I used shredded coconut as I don't like walnuts)
-----------------------
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1 to 2 Tablespoons hot water
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped (Okay this is where I really veered off the path of the recipe-my son doesn't like chocolate much and still had his Easter bunny in it's box, unopened. I chopped it up and spread it onto the brownies--reuse, recycle baby!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  For bottom layer in a small bowl stir together the oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and baking soda.  Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.  Press evenly into bottom of greased 11X7X1 1/2 inch baking pan.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile for middle layer, in a medium bowl stir together egg, granulated sugar, the 2/3 cup flour, milk, 1/4 melted butter, the 1 ounce melted chocolate, 1 teaspoon vanilla and baking powder until smooth.  Fold in walnuts (coconut).  Spread evenly over bottom layer. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (I baked mine 31 minutes).

For top layer, in a medium saucepan combine the 1 ounce chopped chocolate and 2 Tablespoons butter.  Cook and stir over low heat until melted.  Stir in powdered sugar and the 1/2 t. vanilla.  Stir in enough hot water to make a mixture of spreading consistency.  Spread chocolate mixture over middle layer.  Sprinkle with 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate.  Cool completely. Cut into bars. Makes 16-24 brownies.  (I wish I had taken a picture of chopping up the bunny--would have been a funny facebook photo). 

No comments:

Post a Comment