Monday, March 7, 2011

Peanut Butter Cream Sandwiches #31

Peanut Butter Cream Sandwiches #31 from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies Periodical 2010

I do not suggest making these again unless you omit the cumin. When I added it to the filling ingredients I thought twice about it but wanted to follow the recipe exactly. I would possibly remake them but without the cumin-it ruins the flavor. I have to think it is almost a mistake for them to have even put it in the recipe.

1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
Granulated sugar ( I omitted this part)
Peanut Cream Filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine peanut butter and shortening. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat flour.

For each cookie, shape 1 level teaspoon of the dough into a ball. Place balls 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper). Flatten cookies by making crisscross marks with the tines of a fork dipped in granulated sugar (I omitted this part-already sweet enough for me).

Bake in a preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet one minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

Spread 1 teaspoon of the Peanut Cream Filling on bottoms of half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down. Makes about 48 sandwich cookies. (I made mine too large, I missed the teaspoon part so mine only made 24 sandwiches.

Peanut Cream Filling:
In a medium bowl whisk together 3/4 cup marshmallow creme, 3 tablespoons milk, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin. Gradually whisk in 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar (Again, I would definitely omit the cumin unless you really like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment